It is better to equip a place for them so that they can retain some independence, rather than moving them into a bedroom in your home. If you have enough land to use for the project, an extension to your home is the solution.
It is best if the extension is in keeping with the main building. It is easy to construct a flat roof on the cheap, but it will look ugly next to a two-hundred year old house. Make some sketches to begin with and seek out the services of a talented architect to create a detailed plan from them. They will perform many calculations and specify the materials, etc. for the project. It doesn’t happen overnight; you will probably alter the plans several times before you settle on the best solution. The extension might not be big, but you can use interior design tricks to make the kitchen look larger, for example.
The plans must go to the local authority for inspection. They will look at the design and make sure it meets with all the planning rules. They might consult with your neighbours before granting permission for you to begin the construction.
Here is how the build will progress.
- The contractors dig the trench for the foundations and pour in the correct amount of concrete. A building inspector might want to see the hole before the builders fill it.
- The brickwork up to ground level comes next.
- The builders pour concrete into a waterproof membrane for the ground floor.
- Bricklayers will start to construct the walls for the extension. The walls might have cavities into which they will insert insulation. It is only one of the building regulations they must follow throughout the project.
- When the walls are complete, the roofers will put a hat on the project.
- Various contractors set to work inside the building when it is dry. You will see electricians, plumbers, plasterers, and carpenters. The carpenter will add the final touches to the building. They will fit the doors complete with locks and fittings to make the place secure.
The building inspector will visit the project occasionally to make sure everything is in accordance with the latest regulations. You shouldn’t fear these visits; they are acting in your best interests.
Your home will be worth a lot more than it was before, and your mother in law is there to keep you company every day. This improvement is the gift that just keeps on giving.